[pct-l] tarps?

Hey Nate,

Last year during my trip I only setup my tarp 3 times. You'll find
the 'need' to get out your tarp rare.

With that said, a tarp will condensate. The colder/wetter the air
the more condensation.

1. If the ground is so hard you can't get your poles in, why would
you want to sleep in that spot? :) The poles don't need to stick in the ground anyways.

2. Bug netting is unncessary. I prefer to sleep in a
headnet/balaclava, gloves on my hands and my mosquito proof go-lite
wind suit. After walking 25 miles the buzzing sound will not keep
you awake.

3. Anything light and waterproof. Plastic, tyvek, whatever. I use a
piece of silnylon.

4. Yes, if you pitch it correctly it will keep your stuff dry.

Hope this helps
Scott Parks

> 1.  How do you get your sticks or trekking poles into really hard
> ground, if trees aren't avail?
> 2.  In early June, is the Nest bug netting necessary?  I'm thinking > the
> extra weight isn't worth it that time of year, but I'm not sure.
> 3.  What kind of ground cloth is recommended and where do you buy
> it?
> 4.  I understand that if pitched properly, getting wet isn't an
> issue.
> So does this mean I can safely use my down bag with the tarp? I've > also
> been told the Sierra's are really dry compared to the Appalachians > so
> this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

---
Home      : http://stillroaming.tripod.com
Art       : http://stillroaming.tripod.com/art