[pct-l] tarps?

Nate,

You might try posing your question to Ray Jardine, inventor of the Cave
tarp.

 www.rayjardine.com and click on the Guestbook

Also, keep in mind that I'm editing a book for Ray that will explain
everything you ever wanted to know about that tarp (and probably way more),
including the use of the tarp and net-tent in various climates and types of
geography. And the book will include complete sewing instructions for these
items. Sewing kits, to be sold through Ray's site, will include all of the
necessary materials (fabrics, cordage, etc). And quite possibly you will
also be able to buy the equivalent of GL's Cave through this site, as well.
By "equivalent," I mean, more to the original design detail than what GL is
selling (and without the big day-glo logos). And likely at reduced cost.

The book should be out before your summer 2003 hike. Check the above link
periodically for the latest word.

Here are some quick answers to your questions:

1.  How do you get your sticks or trekking poles into really hard
ground, if trees aren't avail?

You don't need to plant these items in the ground. Their tips (or handles,
in the case of trekking poles)  simply rest on the surface and are held
there by the stable tripod effect of the corner guylines and ridgeline cord.

2.  In early June, is the Nest bug netting necessary?  I'm thinking the
extra weight isn't worth it that time of year, but I'm not sure.

Expect some mosquitoes in early June, depending on elevation and on snowpack
melt rates in the Sierra. A face net and bug-proof shell clothing can be
adequate protection from mosquitoes at night, when they are not usually as
aggressive. But if they are swarming, consider the Net-tent.

3.  What kind of ground cloth is recommended and where do you buy it?

If you use a net-tent, then you don't necessarily need to carry a separate
ground sheet, since the net-tent has a waterproof floor. Otherwise, you'll
hear all sorts of ground cloth material recommendations from others on this
list. Or check the archives. I prefer to use a Sportman's Blanket, cut to
size.

4.  I understand that if pitched properly, getting wet isn't an issue.
 So does this mean I can safely use my down bag with the tarp? I've also
been told the Sierra's are really dry compared to the Appalachians so
this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The Sierras aren't rainy like the Appalachians, but you will often have dew
at night, under the stars. The tarp will keep the dew off your bag. The
Cascades are often rainy, of course, and depending on your overall skill
level a down bag would not be out of the question up there either. Let's put
it this way: you can get wet inside a tarp if you don't pitch it correctly;
you can get wet inside a tent if it isn't designed properly; if a down bag
gets wet, its ability to keep you warm is severely compromised. Weigh the
risks against your skills against your desire to go ultra-light.

- blisterfree