[pct-l] tarps?

--
In a message dated 3/3/2003 12:27:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
natgold@ufl.edu writes:

> Hi-
>
> I'm thinking about making the big jump from ClipFlashlight to tarp for
> our early season JMT hike.=A0 It's partly b/c I'm tired of dripping
> condensation onto my bag from poor ventilation, and mostly due to trying
> to go lightweight with dreams of oneday even, ultra....my new quest.
> Does anyone have any recommendations for tarps? How does the GoLite
> Cave do?

That tarps don't have condensation is a misconception, they certainly do.

> Here are some stupid questions I have about using a tarp:
>
> 1.=A0 How do you get your sticks or trekking poles into really hard
> ground, if trees aren't avail?

I don't think you'll find ground to hard to put in stakes.=A0 In lieu of tr=
ees
tie your poles off in V opposing each other.

> 2.=A0 In early June, is the Nest bug netting necessary?=A0 I'm thinking t=
he
> extra weight isn't worth it that time of year, but I'm not sure.

There are plenty of mosquitoes on the JMT in June!

> 3.=A0 What kind of ground cloth is recommended and where do you buy it?

Tyvek or house wrap is used as much as anything else these days.=A0 Try a n=
ew
sub division where they're building and I'm sure you can pick up a piece th=
size you need for free.

> 4.=A0 I understand that if pitched properly, getting wet isn't an issue.
> So does this mean I can safely use my down bag with the tarp? I've also
> been told the Sierra's are really dry compared to the Appalachians so
> this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The Sierras don't have as much rain as the AT.=A0 However, early morning de=
exist everywhere.=A0 Take the time everyday if you can to air out and sun d=
ry
your down bag and gear.

> Thanks everyone for all the help so far.=A0 This message board has been
> really fun and informative.=A0 Keep up the great discussions...it really
> helps.

Yup, good board.

Sly

PS Nat.  I think your "pct-l" in quotes is causing list havoc.  You may wan=
to remove them