[pct-l] Going Light

--
I started backpacking in 1970. The first handful of outings were just overn=
ighters within walking distance of home. My loads were light, not because t=
he equipment was inherently light, but because I just didn't have much and =
therefore didn't bring much. I'm not sure why I didn't just keep doing it t=
hat way, but I did not.

Within the next couple of years I became passionate about hiking and backpa=
cking and spent almost every dime I had on the newest and bitchinest stuff =
I could get. By the time I was a senior in high school I was carrying enorm=
ous loads of  heavy gear and tons of food. There were many times I carried =
packs in excess of 70 pounds.

I used to tell people that I don't ever travel light. When I planned a trip=
 for several days I generally figured an average of 10 miles a day, not inc=
luding any layover days. This went on until about 5 years ago. That's when =
I read Jardine.

Now that name comes up a lot here, but I'd like to say what his book meant =
to me. What I got out of his book(s) is that I can carry a heck of a lot le=
ss stuff and have a heck of a lot more fun. How far I could get in a day wa=
s quite secondary to the experience. What is important is how I feel at the=
 end of the day.

Yes, I'll admit it feels good to know that I can hike in excess of 30 miles=
 a day with everything I need to safely stay out in the wilderness. But by =
no means do I do that every time I go out. I love to hike 7 or 8 miles to a=
 lovely spot and just hang out. The difference is I no longer feel the need=
 to carry a ton of gear that I really never needed in the first place.

If it comes down to a question of comfort how can anyone argue that it's mo=
re comfortable to carry a heavier pack? I'm always comfortable in camp not =
because I carried an espresso maker and a Thermalounger, but because I didn=
't beat myself up getting there.

On my 2002 PCT thruhike I wanted to go light. I fine-tuned my gear list and=
 techniques for a couple years before, yet still ended up sending a few ite=
ms home. I was not what I would consider an ultralighter, which in my mind =
is a baseline weight of 10 pounds or less, but was pretty light at an avera=
ge of 15 pounds.

What I did learn about gear on my thruhike is that I didn't really need tha=
t much.I believe that the secret to lightweight backpacking is mostly learn=
ing what not to bring. Then once it's decided what is needed, look for the =
lightest gear that will still do the job and maintain a reasonable safety m=
argin. My own experience and judgment are what kept me safe, and my passion=
 kept me happy. The gear is only a means to an end. Without the experience,=
 judgement and passion, the experience would not have been a good one. But =
it was a good one! So good!

As to packs; I carried a G-4 from Campo to Kennedy Meadows. Then I switched=
 to  Golite Breeze, which I carried to Ebbets Pass, just south of Lake Taho=
e. I also carried a Bearikade from Bubbs Creek (Cedar Grove, Kings Canyon) =
to Ebbetts Pass. Then I switched back to the G-4, which I carried until Cas=
tella. This sounds a bit schizo but I switched back to the Golite at that p=
oint and carried it all the way to Manning Park. So I carried the Breeze fo=
r a bit more than half my thruhike. I liked it far better the G-4, which I =
found too large and awkward to pack, and which never really rode as comfort=
ably as the Golite, despite the hip belt that the Breeze does not have. The=
 G-4's hip belt didn't seem to transfer the weight that well on my body.

I also used the Breeze on two treks in Nepal right after the PCT hike and I=
 was delighted to have it. I was definately carrying one of the lightest lo=
ads of any of the trekkers I saw. But I did not compromise safety. I had a =
warm down bag, fleece clothes and a down parka. I was warm enough.

Anyway, I would suggest to people starting out to rely more on their skills=
 than on their equipment choices. Their skills will help them make good equ=
ipment choices.

Whatever you do have fun!

Lee Rossman
"Thru in '02"