[pct-l] ultra lite packs

 The problem with the smaller capacity packs is that they are not designed to
carry either the weight or the volume of food/water needed for some multi-day
trips. South of the Sierra, the starting weight for food and water alone for
a 5 day section hike could be as much as 20 pounds. Food for an 8 day Sierra
backpack would weigh at least 15 pounds -- and add the can.
  Say you deliberately want to go on a 10 day trip.  That's a lot of food to
put in a 2500 cubes pack
  I normally don't use a hip belt when day packing or on the approach to a
climb if the weight of my pack is under 20 pounds. I find I ventilate better.
But over 20 pounds and my shoulders start to feel the need for a little help.
I can't imagine going 12 hours with 35 pounds without the shoulders demanding
it
  That's my main beef with the ultralites. Sure, they vanquished the old
frowning be prepared boy scout masters who required their troops to carry 50
pounds for 50 miles for character and to be prepared. My back thanks you for
the obvious enlightenment that tended to be overlooked.
  However, how does that song go?  Meet the new boss same as the old boss.
The new dogmatists have arrived stating lighter is always better. But Ray
Jardine wrote a book on ultra light backpacking with just one thing in mind:
as a method of putting in high mileage days on the PCT, the simple minded
math stating that the more miles you put in in a day, the less food you
require per section, meaning less capacity needed, meaning less weight,
meaning more miles, meaning less food - kind of a backpacking fission down to
zero pounds if doing all 2650 miles in one lousy day. That is what ultralight
is all about -- putting in high mileage days with a minimal camp, usually set
up at dusk. Keep that in mind when buying an ultralite pack.
   So if your aim is high mileage days, read Ray's book. I did and adopted --
or already used -- some of his methods for lightening up your load.
  But beware those who insist that their way is the right way, especially
when their way obviously isn't working. Usually you can tell from the limp,
scabs or other bodily breakdown that occurs when carrying either too much
weight OR putting in too many miles in a day for months on end. Not to
mention the mental monotony that causes them to leave the trail or go on with
no joy. The answer just may lie between the two.
  I met a guy on a trail one time who had an old pair of mountaineering boots
that apparently had never gotten broken in. He had bad blisters. I suggested
maybe a new pair of boots would help. He looked at me incredulously, saying
"what good would that do. One always gets blisters on the first outing. You
just have to tough it out and let them scab over."
     The new guys seem to have the exact same philosophy so beware