[pct-l] Alcohol Stoves - How much fuel to carry?

--
In a message dated 2/26/2003 10:38:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kborski@yahoo.com writes:

> QUESTIONS:  For those PCT thru-hikers who have carried
> alcohol stoves, how much fuel (in liters, ounces,
> whatever) did you typically carry?  How much did you
> leave town with, and how big was your fuel bottle?
> What was the longest you had to go before refilling
> your fuel bottle?  What did you use for a fuel bottle?

Karen,

Although hard to find, ideally you want to look for a 16 oz plastic soda
bottle, which full should last about a week, but less if you like hot drinks.
 If you like hot drinks in the morning or evening you may need to use, an
easy to find, 20 oz bottle.  If you have any longer stretches planned you can
always carry the bottle of Heet, along with your main fuel bottle.

A rule of thumb I used was 2 oz for each meal and 1 oz of fuel for about 12
oz of hot water.  You'll find that when trying to boil much over two cups of
water, the boiling times slow down considerably, along with less fuel
efficiency.  It's best to do two separate boils, one for hot drinks with only
water and one for your dinner with the meal in your pot from the start.

YfuelMMV,

Sly