[pct-l] Pack Recommendations

Ditto.

On the boat ride across Edison Lake (VVR) last year 8 of the 15
hikers had Gust packs. This is no accident. Simon has a picture of
all the Gust wearers on shore.(Simon & Liz).

My pack weighed in at 43lbs leaving Kennedy Meadows (10 days food),
 with 1 liter of water. I never used the hip belt (hip belts are
annoying). It was heavy for the first 2-3 days. Besides that, it is
incredibly comfortable, durable and cheap.

My next Gust, I'll sew some web pockets on the side, though.

2 thru-hikers I met had G4's and those packs do not wear well. I
would own one for shorter hikes though.

Like Steve said, it's rooomy and VERY light at 19oz (long).

Scott Parks

> my choice was the golite gust:

> about 100 bucks, 19ounces, 4000-5000 ci storage - can't go wrong.
> AND very very comfortable when packed properly.  In addition to
> the classic method of using your pads as the frame, I also used my
> heavy fleece and space blanket to form lumbar support, and barely
> noticed to 22 or so lbs (including bearikade) balancing comfortably
> on my lower back (hipbelt !) on my 120 mi. JMT hike last summer.

> And an answer to the sierra mileage question, if you are fit and
> light,
> the only obstacle regarding making the miles is snow and creek
> timing.

> Steve

---
Home   : http://stillroaming.tripod.com