[pct-l] Pack Recommendations

--
I wouldnt jump to buying a new pack so quickly.  A friend of mine
used a Kelty Redwing on our hile from Tahoe to Yosemite and it worked
fine.  You just have to get creative with packing and be honest about
what you "really need".

You can also shave some weight off the Kelty by:
1.  cutting off extra straps, tags, labels, and material that is not
needed.
2.  removing side pockets, zippers, and ornamental items that do not
offer any benefit compared to their weight (ie: a small pocket that
is only large enough to hold toiletries or something could be cut off
and you can throw your toiletries/knick-knacks in a ziplock)
3.  trade hip belt/shoulder straps with lighter models.  Check with
your local outfitter to see if they have any extras or sell them
individually.
4.  remove the lid and only use a drawstring to close the top.
5.  if there is a side zipper, remove it and sew the remaining
opening shut.
6.  if there is a separate compartment for a sleeping bag, remove the
material that separates the sleeping bag compartment from the main
compartment.
5.  after you do all this, re-evaluate your gear and eliminate heavy
things or switch out for lighter stuff.  For example, if you carry a
mini-flashlight that weighs 4 oz, consider swapping out for a photon
light that weighs 0.2 oz. (thats already a 1/4 lb savings).  If you
carry a pot and a bowl, consider dropping the bowl and eat right out
of the pot.

You can really start to eliminate weight if focus.  once you start
thinking in terms of saving EVERY possible fraction of an ounce, as
opposed to pounds, then you will eb amazed at hou fast the weight
sheds.

Good luck!

peace,
dude