[pct-l] Re: Esbit Stoves

Marge said
>you can purchase a Boy Scout model of the Esbit Stove which also weights
>about 1/2 the amount of a regular Esbit stove.

I tried the Boy Scout stove and found that it couldn't put out much heat. The
problem may be that it blocks too much air or maybe the pot is too close to
the flame. Since I don't have the stove anymore I can't be certain.
Whatever the reason, it is not a good stove for thruhikers. It does not put
out enough heat.

If you want a lighter stove than the 3.2 oz one that comes with Esbits it is
easy to make. My writeup and description of how to make a better stove for
Esbits is message 70834 on Yahoo's BackpackingLight mail list.

And it's good to be careful about how you send things. One hiker I met last
year was met by the police and fined $100 for sending a lighter through the
mail. Esbits can be legally sent through the regular (air) mail. --David