[pct-l] Crosscountry to Crabtree ( too long unless you're really interested)

In a message dated 2/18/03 9:34:48 PM, StoneDancer1@aol.com writes:

<< the whole
southern slope is strewn with quartz crystals. >>

High quality clear quartz crystals are"common" in the Olympics, found either
in quartz formations or the scree/talus slopes below them.  New ones are
exposed every time there is a Major Erosional Event.  We witnessed a vein
with dozens of them emerge during a tremendous June downpour. It rained so
hard  scree slopes tinkled like millions of tiny wind chimes, the bits of
shale tumbling as the entire surface of the scree  slowly washed downhill,
with large streams flowing for a time, where there were no stream beds (yet
the down bag stayed dry). They are exposed only for few weeks during the year
due to snow cover(6000'-8000'). They are technically not supposed to be taken
from the Park, but it is a rare individual who would not pick up what looks
like a  large diamond (up to 5 inches long, most about an inch) laying on
some obscure slope far from any trail that very few are likely to see again.
Besides, I don't intend to profit from my swag. I fully intend to donate them
to a visitor center so that thousands of people will be able to see them
instead of just mountaineers. I usually give them away to people on the
backpacking trip when I find them now