[pct-l] getting to trailhead?

Nathan Goldfarb wrote:

> I was recommeded to start my JMT hike at Kennedy Meadows by a hiking
> friend of mine.  For one, this will give us a chance to acclimate a little
> better than at  Horseshoe Meadows.  But Horseshoe Meadows  is closer to
> the JMT, but higher elevation.  And, Horseshoe Meadows looks to be more
> accessible by vehicle.

> Does anyone know which is easier to access?

Both can be reached along well maintained, paved roads.  The access to
Horseshoe Meadows could be closed following a heavy snowstorm.  If you are
looking to get to that specific trailhead, you might enquire at the Lone
Pine airport for hang glider enthusiasts.  Their launch platform is within a
few miles of the Meadows.

> And, does anyone know the best way to get to either of these places?
> I've been told to fly into Reno , then go from there.   Then what?  bus to
> closest town? then a pre-arranged ride, or hitchhike??  my wife will just
> love that....she's definitely not a hitchhiker.

(from Terry Phillips of this list, Nov. 2001)

I contacted Randy at Sierra Express, www.mammothsierratransportation.com,
760-924-8294.  He will meet us at the airport in Reno, and drive us to Red's
Meadow.  When we complete our hike at Virginia Lakes, we only to need to
call him and he'll be there that day or the next to take us back to Reno.
He also volunteered to return our bear cannisters.  I guess "full service"
really means FULL SERVICE.  All that for $100.00 per person.

Eckert