[pct-l] getting to trailhead? (J

--

Nathan where you fly to depends on where you are coming from. If you are co=
ming from the south there are local busses that run a couple of times a wee=
k. That gets you to where the road coming down from Kennedy Meadows meets t=
he main highway 395 . To return to Kennedy meadows I took Amtrak to Bakersf=
ield then local busses to  Mojave and then highway 14  to  Ridgecrest. Then=
 hitching from there. BTW hitching with thumb in the air does not work so w=
ell any more. Take any opportunity  to talk to people and ask for ride.
If you have an extra day or two you could go to Highway 178 between Bakersf=
ield and Ridgecrest,  where the PCT crosses Walker pass (just east of  Onyx=
.) but there are no busses there.

 Nathan Goldfarb <natgold@ufl.edu> wrote:Hi ,

I was recommeded to start my JMT hike at Kennedy Meadows by a hiking
friend of mine. For one, this will give us a chance to acclimate a
little better than at Horseshoe Meadows. But Horseshoe Meadows is
closer to the JMT, but higher elevation. And, Horseshoe Meadows looks
to be more accessible by vehicle.

Does anyone know which is easier to access?

And, does anyone know the best way to get to either of these places?
I've been told to fly into Reno , then go from there. Then what? bus
to closest town? then a pre-arranged ride, or hitchhike?? my wife will
just love that....she's definitely not a hitchhiker.

Thanks for all the help, folks.

Nate "JMT class of 2003" G.