[pct-l] Ice ax length/uses

Howdy listers,
I'm digest delayed and haven't read all ice ax posts subsequent to this
one.  I carried a long axe on my PCT attempt and still like it for steep
snow hiking.  I had the basket attachment which saved many tumbles and
was the envy of those I hiked/sloshed with across the numerous
snowfields.  One long handle advantange I haven't seen mentioned is
using it for cutting steps while hiking down steep snowslopes.  The long
handle means you have to lean less and can take a more direct line down
the slope but it is strenuous swinging a long axe.  For those without
crampons, cutting steps makes a big difference in safety.

I don't remember exactly how it was phrased but someone mentioned
different style axes not being certified by mountaineering
organisations.  I haven't been involved in climbing for awhile
(especially ice) but I remember both wooden and aluminum axes were okay
for personal use but the shafts weren't strong enough for belays and
anchors.  If money was no object, I probably buy a lighter (aluminum or
titanium) axe to carry.
        Jeff Jones