[pct-l] Trail Report Sections B1 and B2

Hi all,

I just returned from a quick 24 hour hike north from Warner Springs, and
wanted to update the list. FYI - I left Sunday Feb. 16 at 10:30 AM. OK
here goes. Traveling north from the gate just north of hwy. 79 I reached
a very large tree on the left side of the trail. This tree has a branch
about mid way up that has fallen onto both the tree itself and also the
trail. Because the fallen branch is still laying in the tree, caution
should be observed. The smaller branches form a "canopy" under the tree.
The local stock has already gouged out a tread moving to the right of
the main trail that can be used. I chose to slip under the canopy of
branches and continue on. Roughly 25 minutes north of the gate you will
come upon a camping area with a port-a potti. When I reached the
campground a gentleman was setting up for what seemed like a picnic for
50 people. All of the tables had checkered tablecloths! In any event, I
figure he took me to be a distance hiker because as soon as he saw me
and my pack he offered me food and drink. A very nice gesture. The
stream that meanders to the right of the campground is running well at
the moment. When I reached the crossing a few yards north of the
campground the rocks to hop across were more than 3/4 covered with
water. Proceeding north I encountered a bit of deterioration on the
trail ascending from the stream on account of a) recent rains which
turned the trail into drainage ditches, and b) considerable stock
activity that churned the trail into mush. Roughly 1 mile past the
stream the stock evidence diminished and the trail was less of a hassle
to walk on. Approx. 75 minutes from the gate I came upon Agua Caliente
creek again, having made it back to the ravine it flows through. As
expected the river was flowing well, and I proceeded north through all 5
stream crossings. I removed about 6 small trees that had fallen across
the trail through this section. Please note that as of this writing
there is a medium sized tree across the trail between the second and
third crossing. It is easily traversed but will need a chainsaw to clear
it. Having reached the fifth and final crossing I encountered another,
much larger tree that had fallen. This tree is quite remarkably RIGHT
ACROSS the stream crossing. It is not too difficult to negotiate but you
will have to straddle the tree about 1/3 of the way across the rocks,
then shift back onto the rocks to cross the remainder of the stream.
FYI, all five stream crossings had good water flow but there were
sufficient rocks/boulders to cross the streams without getting wet.

Following the trail north to about 10 miles past the gate I encountered
no other significant trail problems. The trail is in good shape once you
leave the Agua Caliente ravine. There is a 1.1 mile section of the trail
that follows an old jeep road (just south of Lost Valley Spring) where I
encountered fallen rocks across the trail but they did not significantly
impede my progress. I made to the section north of the Lost Valley
Spring cutoff that ascends south then veers east before I had to turn
around (having reached my designated turnaround time). On my return I
turned right at Lost Valley spring and descended the 1/4 mile to check
the flow. At this point there IS water at this source. I could not
detect where the seep entered the trough, but there was about a 4 inch
wide flow streaming out of the trough at the low end. Having hiked 10
miles in and 6 miles back I camped in the Agua Caliente ravine for the
night. Total Sunday distance was 16 miles in 6 hours (average speed I
suppose) then 4 miles out to the car this morning.

Summary
1. At this point there is good water access both at the campground and
in the Agua Caliente ravine. I was at this spot last November and the
campground creek bed was dry but water was still flowing in the ravine.
One could predict that the same scenario may exist in early May. Leaving
Barrel Springs this coming May, you might still find water in the ravine
which I think is about 15 or so miles north of Barrel Spring.
2. I would not count on water a Lost Valley Springs in May. The flow is
not great at this point.
3. There needs to be a bit of chainsaw work done in the ravine. If
someone knows who to inform can you please forward this information.
4. There are no other significant trail issues in this section at this
time.
5. Subjectively, the trip was great. If anyone wants to hear the trail
journal side of the trip let me know. Also, my new homemade 20 degree
bag was FABULOUS. I  purposely situated myself in the Katabatic region
of the ravine so I could experience the coldest, dampest night I could
find. I basically overheated all night in just my u/w and a sort sleeve
shirt. AM temp was 38 degrees. I can't believe this homemade down bag
actually works.

Email me with any questions.

--
Mike Maurer