[pct-l] knowledgeable stores

I think this is the difference, I know stores where people really know what
they're doing (this is why I drive 45 min to REI in Mass).

I wouldn't have a problem with people that don't know about the gear - but I
find too many employees pretend they know what they're talking about... I
read reviews and talk to people that use gear before I go out and buy it -
so it's obvious when they're making stuff up.

I was on my way up to NH and stopped by the EMS at Emerald Square Mall. I
brought my pack in to see how well my gear would fit in the G pack, and the
employees were really cool. They were asking questions about a lot of my
gear.

They had never seen a half bag or the axe I was using, or my parka... They
seemed really interested and based on the questions they were asking I could
tell they use the gear themselves, on their free time.

When I was gearing up for my AT hike, I went into EMS and asked if they sold
titanium cookware. The lady asked why anyone would want cookware made of
titanium... She then tried to sell titanium pots - talking about how
lightweight they were...

Now, two years later they do, in fact sell titanium cookware... So they are
getting better.

I know not all the EMS employees are as poorly educated as the ones I've
met. Maybe I've just had bad luck there.

If any of you work for them... It's nothing personal.

-Brad