[pct-l] knowledgeable stores

In a message dated 2/17/03 1:08:07 AM, saskia.home@wanadoo.nl writes:

<< In other stores you will find people who have no idea and who don't
mind showing it. I asked once about a sports bra and the woman
proceeded to read the label out loud to me.

Saskia >>

 minimum wage with no commission breeds apathy. I've always found REI
salespeople to be quite knowledgeable about the stuff they sell. I wouldn't
buy anything at my local sporting good stores because it is obvious the clerk
is just there to press the buttons on the cash registerand hopefully make the
right change. The owner of one store lives out of town most of the time and
I'm sure just views his business as a cash cow, having obtained the rationed
right to sell many brands.   The employee turnover is phenomenal. Maybe the
pay is higher at REI? I keep hoping one will open near where I live.
  I was going to give their customer service a real test. I bought an REI
pack for my thru hike (not recommended, sorry REI). I was going to take it
back immediately after my thru hike with my receipt, and indignantly, but
truthfully, state, "I bought this pack just 6 months ago and only used it for
one outing. And just look at it! It's shot! What kind of quality is that?"
"Now now, sir, don't be upset. We'll replace it at no cost AND that item
happens to be on sale so we'll give you money back with your new pack."
"Well, okay"