[pct-l] Ice Axe info.

--
 First of all, I would highly recomend any thu-hiker going into the Sierras
in early -mid june be carry an ice axe and of course know how to use it. The
threat of late spring storms is always there ,even on a low snow year. We
lost a hiker a few years ago in the Sierras. You need to be able to stop on
steep snow. In 1977 as Greg and a few others could tell you, we had a very
rough late may storm. Forunately, all hikers packed ice axes in those days.
It was a low snow year and people were sucked into Sierras early. ( Much like
this year may turn out)
    Second is length,. I have read all the books anyone else has about do's
and don'ts and I can tell you in the " Real World" , you want an ice axe that
fits the head flat in the palm of your hand with the bottom touching the
ground.  If you are walking down hill , an " Ankle high " axe is the fits!!!
The extra 2 and a half to 3 inches in length is never a problem when climbing
 up either as shaft sticks into snow several inches. Also the fun part of
climbing, " Glissading down something like Forester " the Monte length offers
more control on your downhill run and safer in you get alittle to fast and
need to " Belly down " and stop.   Ankle length is for the birds!! At times
you will be walking from steep , to flat , to steep terrain again all within
300 yards. Nothing like a ankle length axe on the flat or slight down
hill!!!!!  ( TIC) I really don't care what pack, stove , shoe , tent a person
takes on their PCT hike , but these short ice axes really get my goat!!!
Ankle length axe is like chopping  half the handle off your hammer and
pounding nails all day or putting your hiking poles on the shortest setting
for up and down hill. " An Ankle Length Ice Axe is an  "UP Hill Specially
tool" .
    Thirdly , I would agree with Dave that even though I love wooden ice axes
for Shasta and Adams type climbs or PCT spring trips, spend some money and
buy a titanuim ice axe ( Monte Length,,not ankle biter!!) for your PCT trip
and spend some time learning with it.  ( Go light and Long)