[pct-l] Ice Axe Length? " Longer IS Better!!"

--
 I differ on this one. You should go with an ice axe length that allows head
to sit flat in hand and axe touching ground on bottom.  ( Stubi even makes a
varable length ice axe much like hiking poles)
   Most stores today try to sell you axes that are as short as ice hammers
used on " Willis Wall" route on Rainier. A longer axe is less likely to end
up sticking in your rib cage during a fall than a " Shorty"  and is much
easier to control.
    Remember , you will be going down hill  at times which is even worse with
a shorty axe as it dangles worthlessly above the snow and gives little
support.
   You are more likely to actually have your ice axe in your hand if it is a
useable length instead of strapped as a pack ornament.
   In the old days before everyone used hiking poles, thru-hikers used their
ice axes all the way from Border to Border in many cases. The full length
axes makes a great " All Around" hike stick for crossing streams. ( Digging
cat holes) Also full axes for much nicer in sun softened snow when your
handle sinks 6-8 inches in. ( Buy a basket for your axe!)
   I have never wished that I had an ice axe 6 inches shorter than normal and
the extra weight of a " Real Axe" is nothing. Remember , if you purchase an
ice axe, you will most likely use it again and again for the next 30 years (
Or longer)
   Even all the porters on the old school big climbs in the 20's through the
60's used hiking canes that looked much like ice axes in which they would
place behind them to support pack during bridf stops.
    " Shorty ice axes" are great for making " Sucking Chest Wounds" and a
longer axe gives you more control  with its full length across your body.
     Actually a " Whippet" would be better than a light shorty as it is less
likely to end up in your chest  and it would be in your hand at all times. (
Unlike Chest Sucking Pack Ornament)