To: AT-List ,
2003 AT hikers
Subject: [at-l] Cold Mountains
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:38:33 -0500

My god! Take a moment:

The View from Everest

Explanation: What would it be like to stand atop the tallest mountain
on Earth? To see a full
panoramic vista from there, scroll right. Visible are snow peaked
mountains near and far,
tremendous cliffs, distant plateaus, the tops of clouds, and a dark
blue sky. Mt. Everest stands 8.85
kilometers above sea level, roughly the maximum height reached by
international airplane flights, but
much less than the 300 kilometers achieved by a space shuttle.
Hundreds of people have tried and
failed to climb the behemoth by foot, a feat first accomplished
successfully in 1953. About 1000
people have now made it to the summit. Roddy Mackenzie, who climbed
the mountain in 1989,
captured the above image. Mt. Everest lies in the Himalayan mountains
in the country of Nepal. In the
native language of Nepal, the mountain's name is "Sagarmatha" which
means "goddess of the sky."

Tomorrow's picture: Busy Solar System