[pct-l] Kelty Clout

--
 I went this evening to  a great Everest Slide show at Evergreen College
tonight put on by Tom Hornbein. He climbed Everest a few weeks after Jim
Whitaker but on the unclimbed West Ridge along with Wllie Unsold.
    Anyway, Willi was one of two folks that used the Kelty green pack  to
climb Everest in 63'.  It was reported to be  the best pack on the
mountain!!!
    Across the aisle from me was Fred Beckey and the other side sat Larry
Neilson ( Who was the first American to climb Everest with no oxygen in 1983)
 The guy ( Sumner) who made the MSR " Thunderbird" ice axe sat below me. We
saw great slides of this 1963 climb from the West side. ( Two weeks ago at
the PCTA meeting we all saw Jim Whitakers slides of same trip ,but different
Mt. Side. Tom played many taped cuts from Willie talking about climb as only
Willie could!! All of Willie's family was there and Tom shocked crowd by
pulling out a small jar that contained Willie Unsold's toes that he lost on
1963 trip due to frost bite from bivi camp at 28,000ft with no bag or tent on
their way down  Mt.   ( Tom Hornbein signed my favorite old ice axe and
Whitaker signed the other side 2 weeks ago!)   P.S. Only 10 climbers of the
24 from the 1963 Climb are still around .  Tom is 72y/young.     Old Keltys
never die !!!