From: "Alan Crabtree" <alancrabtree@yahoo.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 6:34 PM
Subject: [pct-l] Backpacking gun

>From the Associated Press:

"Among the other new guns being introduced by Smith &
Wesson is the industry's lightest-ever .44 Magnum. It
has a 4-inch barrel, scandium frame and titanium
cylinder, and weighs in at 1 pound, 10-1\2  ounces.
"We see this as an opportunity for backpackers," Smith
& Wesson Roy Cuny said. "A light firearm of this
caliber, in fact, provides protection against bears
and other big things."

Who said big name gear manufacturers aren't looking at
ways to drop your pack weight, (not to mention bears).