[pct-l] Snow and rain

Partial answer to:

"What I want to know is, are the Sierras getting any snow,
or is
it just raining everywhere?"

The storm started in Bishop with light rain on Tuesday, but
it didn't freeze locally overnight. on Wednesday rain
continued fairly lightly, with 7 am outside temp on 395
measured at 43 deg. On my drive south along 395 to
Ridgecrest, rain fell constantly and continued to do so on
my return trip, but again more lightly by the time I reached
Bishop. Outside temp stayed at 43 deg F until during my
return when I noted it began to fall to the high 30s. At 3
pm we had snow falling at 4300 feet in West Bishop but it
turned to rain again in less than a half hour. Today, with
the clouds parted somewhat, conditions can be seen only on
the Coyote Warp SW of us and snow is showing at 4500 feet,
but not a great amount of it.

Ridgecrest had already received about 2" of storm total rain
at 1 pm on Wednesday while my rain gauge in West Bishop
registers only 0.9" for the total storm as of 12:30 pm today
Thursday. It didn't freeze last night. I'm guessing that the
Sequoia and S Inyo Sierra got clobbered by this sub-tropical
storm, which isn't over yet, while N Inyo and Mono Sierra
probably has relatively less snow from this storm. Fairly
low, (6000 feet) and wet snow.
--
Campy
High Sierra Regional Trail Coordinator

http://www.trailprojects.com  or
http://www.trailvolunteer.com  click on PCT

"Time spent doing trail work shall not be deducted from your
life!"