[pct-l] shoes/new member

Hi everyone-

I'm new to PCT message board.  My wife and I are planning our first long
trip on the JMT this June.  So, I was referred to this board by my good
friend, Whiteroot, as a means to learn more about the hike. I have
already gleaned a wealth of information from reading the archives and
reading, reading, reading....Ray's book, Townsend's book, Freedom of the
Hills, Guide to the JMT etc!

We are very excited about our first trip to the Sierra's.  All of our
backpacking has been in the Appalachians, so far.  WE can't wait!!!!

We are planning on starting at K.Meadows in early June.  I know this is
the early season, however I've been reassured that our journey, though
fraught with challenges, is possible.

Anyhow, my first question:

 I just bought my first pair of NBalance 806's the recommended half size
larger.  Even with a thin liner and thick SmartWool trekking sock , the
shoe "bites" the top of my foot a bit where the laces are, presumably
b/c they are slightly big.  Is this O.K.?? Will my foot swell enough to
take care of this...keeping in mind we'll be on snow a lot.  Or, should
I try a half size down with a thinner sock to avoid the biting all
together?? Or, try another shoe.  I'm trying to free myself from my
uncomfortable Vasque Clarions.  Light fabric boots are impossbile to
find where I live in Florida, so it's the beefiest running show I can
find...hence the NB 806.

 Nike makes a trail runner, the Air-Terra, but it isn't nearly as stiff
and sturdy as the NB 806, but comfy.  We are not Ultra-light (packweight
about 30 lbs without food/water), so I don't want to go to light in the
footwear department.

Thanks for all the help.

Happy hiking,

Nate