[pct-l] 5th ADZPCTKO - Long

Here is the first tentative information on the upcoming 5th ADZPCTKO (long);

The events will start Friday, April 25th and go through Sunday, April 27th
with Saturday being the main event, of course.

The local PCTA has organized a trail maintenance project near Lake Morena to
coordinate with the event and all supporters are encouraged to sign up to
help.  Details and a sign-up will be on the website.

The Gear Contest is attracting quite a bit of attention, with prizes already
donated from several commercial sources and some individuals.

The First "Give Me Shelter" Review will be held to showcase the incredible
variety of shelters set up by thru-hikers and supporters, with detailed info
on the specs attached to each unique shelter. Mick Jagger is hosting it.
(TIC)

John Oldfield will be showing his edited video of his 2002 thru-hike in an
hour long show.  Now that is editing, 2, 650 miles in 60 minutes!

As mentioned, two talks, one on the general geology of the PCT will be given
and one on the biota, each taking about an hour and having time to discuss on
the side thereafter.

A note about reserving sites;
1. If you are a thru or section hiker then we have reserved sites 66, 69, 72,
73, 76 thru 80, 83, 84 and 86 for you!  Eight people are allowed per site.
Overflow can camp in the triangular area north of these sites.  Sites 64 and
65 are not reserveable and are for hikers only.  You pay if you camp in these
or talk to me.

2. If you are one of the organizers, a trail angel or with the PCTA board or
staff or one of the regional trail coordinators (or Tim Stone, NFS), then
sites 59 thru 63, 67, 68, 70 and 71 are reserved for you.

3. If you are not in 1. or 2. groups above, then you are a supporter or past
hiker and are asked to reserve other sites nearby.  The closest sites are 48,
50, 74, 75, 81, 82, and 85.  Please call Lake Morena at 619-579-4101 or San
Diego County Parks and Recreation department at 858-565-3600 for
reservations.  Don't panic if you can't find a site.  Again, sites allow 8
people per site, so look to share sites with others.  We may put up a "site
sharing" page on the website.

A map of this and further details will, of course, be up on the website
shortly.  Stay tuned.

Recognize that you can park in the thru-hiker reserved sites as they probably
wont be bringing cars to the kickoff.  Three cars per site.  If you find that
all sites are jammed then please park on the side of the Pavillion.

Here is a tentative schedule for the ADZ, subject to massive change and rule
#1 (there are no rules at the ADZPCTKO!)

Thursday evening - people begin to arrive - no services

Friday - day hiking - PCTA Trail Maintenance - dinner provided

Saturday:
   Early AM - Breakfast - PCTA Trail Maintenance

   Late AM - Geology of the PCT talk in Pavillion
                - Biology of the PCT talk in Pavillion

   Lunch on your own

   Early PM - Gear Contest entries
                  - Group Photos

   Mid PM - "Give Me Shelter" Review Walking Tour - Water/Snow Report

   Late PM - dinner
                - Gear Contest Awards
                - PCTA Comments
                - Video Show - John Oldfield 2002

   Late, late PM - Music around the campfire

Sunday:
   Early AM - breakfast - PCTA Trail Maintenance

   Late AM - Site Cleanup

A central "Information Board" will be erected with the final schedule of
events, site and parking information, emergency information, rides needed -
rides offered section, water and snow info, etc., etc.

A hiker box will be provided like last year, stocked full to start!

If you are a thru-hiker or section hiker this year, then your money is no
good at the ADZPCTKO this year, please allow us to be your host.  If you have
enjoyed this benefit in the past and feel that this is the time to give back
a bit to those who follow in your footsteps, or you just want to help out
with some of the costs of putting this on and the water stashing that the
event supports, then please consider a donation.  It has costed approximately
$15 per person in the previous years so that is what we ask.  If you would
like to host a thru-hiker then please consider doubling or more your
donation.

There is no mandatory cost to participate in the ADZ.  All costs are paid
with donations by you good people.  Last year we ended up, for the first
year, with enough funds to almost pay for all of costs of the 2002 event AND
for the reservation of all of those sites mentioned above for this year!  If
you cannot afford a donation, we understand.  Please look for a way to help
in some other fashion at the event, there are many.

Please send donations of funds or gear (for prizes to the gear contest) to:

Greg Hummel
Dept. ADZPCTKO
23239 Ironhorse Canyon Rd.
Diamond Bar, CA 91765

Looking forward to celebrating the 5th anniversary of this great idea,
originated by Tom Reynolds.  Please come join this low key, gathering of the
long distance hiking community.  As Donna Saufley recently wrote to me: "I've
often said that the trail strips away all vestiges of the external,
work-a-day world, humbles people, and reveals their pure soul. So, if you
have an open heart, they go straight to the
center of it."  I think that you'll find this to be the case and that this
environment will cause you to open up also.

Best regards and hope to see you all there,

Greg Hummel
ADZPCTKO Coordinator

PS:  Any suggestions?