[pct-l] why is are Tom and Marge so mad?

Good morning,

I seem to remember to have read some good (and polite) explanations of
Tom's points. He has even written articles about how to pack enough
food into a cannister. Tom's irritation comes from the repetition of
the argument over and over, I guess. And the frustration that some
people cannot be moved to do what you want them to do. Such is life.
And hey, repitition of the same points is what happens on a list like
this. It is not a bad idea to have some standard lines to post as a
response to the 'should I carry a cannister' question, as someone
suggested.

Personally I feel that threatening people is not a behaviour that
belongs on a public discussion list. It makes for very bitter reading.
Threatening to leave the list won't work on the people that don't want
to see your point and it will only upset the people that actually like
and respect you. Those are not the people you wanted to threaten... I
think we should take my mother's advice: "Now take a deep breath, count
to ten - slowly ! - and tell me what it is you want to tell me".

Saskia

On dinsdag, feb 11, 2003, at 01:59 Europe/Amsterdam, Matt Geis wrote:

> I understand Tom's concern, but since thru-hikers will
> generally do what they want (regardless of the rules)
> in the area of cannisters, a better solution would be
> for him to show up at the kickoff, explain (politely)
> why he thinks cannisters are a good idea, then talk
> about how to avoid problems (for those hikers who
> absolutely can't deal with carrying a cannister).
> Better that than whining about trying to sabotage the
> kickoff by not showing up (a rather egotistical threat
> in the first place).
drs Saskia Daru
< Project DIVA >
	projectimplementatie en -advies