[pct-l] Re: Deer, was Bears in general, (not canisters):)

Hi,

You've probably heard my deer story before, but as it is so on topic,
I'll just tell it one more time.

On our first trip to the US my partner and I were hiking in
Washington's Northern Cascades. We set up camp in a sheltered spot. At
night we heard something stirring our hiking poles. Being the hero that
I am, I shoved my partner out of the tent to go take a look. It was a
deer. It was licking our hiking pole handles. It even took one pole in
its mouth and tried to take it away. My partner scared it enough that
it dropped the stick. It was not afraid, though, and kept coming back.
I flashed it with my camera, but it still did not budge. In the end my
partner ran after it for some hundred yards. We put the poles
underneath our tent. They were still there in the morning.

As I could not figure out why a deer would need hiking poles, I posted
the question on an internet newsgroup and found out that it had to do
with the salt. One of the people who responded told a story that a deer
actually put its snout into a tent to grab a sweaty t-shirt... No one
was harmed, though.

I have a beautiful nightly deer picture and a good story, what more do
I need?

Saskia

On dinsdag, feb 11, 2003, at 00:44 Europe/Amsterdam, David hiking PCNST
in bits wrote:

> The deer certainly will come around your tent making noise at night
> and knocking
> over pots and stuff, at least in the Pasayten in fall 2001, but I
> haven't
> heard of them coming in a tent or hanging around if somebody gets out
> of
> the tent to mark his territory.    Those big old bears are actually
> quieter
> than the deer.
>
> At least in some places (maybe not PCT) the deer have been known to eat
> pack straps for the salt.    This would put a bigger crimp in your hike
> than if they just ate the food.    They are much pickier about food
> than
> the bears.

---
Hike your own hike