[pct-l] Bare Cannisters

--
In a message dated 2/10/03 11:58:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
csiechert@hotmail.com writes:

> it's essential
> for the longterm health of the bears and the hiking community that we
> don't let the bears get our food.

You know... on an intellectual level, I totally agree, but... having hiked
the Sierra nearly every summer since 1958 - excepting a few years when I
camped out in jungles and deserts -  I have crossed every pass, walked every
trail, climbed most of the mountains, dipped in a fair number of its lakes...
and, I  truly believe this is a tempest in tea kettle.    In all that time, I
have lost my food to bear(s) one time...when I used an Ursack.  I have
actually seen bears 4 times, and three of those were in Yosemite Natl Park.
I have had one snuffle around my tent, likewise in Yosemite.  Bears are
gentlemanly and retiring by and large and only pose threats under
circumstances discussed to death already.  I guess I think that the danger
posed to hikers and the ever-lovin bear community is less than the danger of
elevated blood pressure to those arguing this case or that. It's my guess
that regardless of whether you can your food or bears get it or not, their
species will be around long after we have wiped ours out....

No Way