[pct-l] Re: Bears in general, (not canisters):)

In a message dated 2/10/03 4:19:33 PM, catfishii@schizoaffective.org writes:

<<
>Wouldn't this be a good use for the $30.00 collected annually for our
>Northwest Forest Pass?  Oregon Field Guide on PBS had an interesting
>segment on User fees & specifically the forest pass last night.  I am
>assuming that the Forest pass fee wasn't to make up for budget cuts by
>the fed's but for trail maintainance like they said.  They wouldn't lie
>to us would they?? >>

It would indeed and they would indeed. I went to several meetings discussing
user fees in ONP and basically they are a surcharge for backpackers. They
collected way more money than was needed for trail maintenance so the excess
went to gravelling roads, making videos, heads in campgrounds and remodeling
a lodge owned by the govt., something that ALL people entering the Park took
advantage of. And day hikers get to use the EXACT same trails as backpackers
without the surcharge. They lied through their teeth when they first said
that backcountry fees were only to be used for backcountry uses such as trail
maintenance
  I agree the money was needed, but at least they could have been up front
about it. It did nothing for their credibility. Personally, I don't much care
for the parts of our National Parks that cater to tourists and avoid those
areas like the plague. They are all way too crowded (Old Faithful with 10,000
people on July 4th, Yosemite City, Grand Canyon village, Crater Lake,
Paradise on Mt. Rainier in Summer, Going to the Sun highway in Glacier etc.
Thank God - and the wilderness act- for the backcountry or I wouldn't go at
all.
 Okay, I'm done now. I'd take some blood pressure medication if I was on it
but someone keeps harping  about just suffering instead of taking drugs so I
will take their advice