[pct-l] why is are Tom and Marge so mad?

Here's what I can't figure out.  Tom feels the need
for all hikers to cary bear cannisters.  Is this just
his opinion, or is this the start of a crusade?

This whole discussion smacks of the "all-knowing"
criticism many knowledgeable hikers are subjected to
by their counterparts whose knowledge comes primarily
from the REI catalog.  ("What?!?!  You aren't
filtering your water???  Oh my God -- you're going to
die!!  And you're wearing trail runners?  You should
be wearing boots!").

Many, many, many thru-hikers camp in a manner that
does not attract bears.  Many attract bears, out of
ignorance or just bad luck.  Nothing is foolproof, but
the ONLY hikers I met on my thru-hike who had problems
with bears acknowledged that they brought those
problems on themselves.

I understand Tom's concern, but since thru-hikers will
generally do what they want (regardless of the rules)
in the area of cannisters, a better solution would be
for him to show up at the kickoff, explain (politely)
why he thinks cannisters are a good idea, then talk
about how to avoid problems (for those hikers who
absolutely can't deal with carrying a cannister).
Better that than whining about trying to sabotage the
kickoff by not showing up (a rather egotistical threat
in the first place).

I'm not sure I understand Marge's questions of Chuckie
V.  She seems to think that if Chuckie had ever
attended a kickoff or had hiked in the Sierras, he
would reverse his opinion and support Tom
wholeheartedly.

Personally, I've been to a kickoff.  I've hiked a lot
in the Sierras.  I've thru-hiked.  I've seen bears.
Some of the time, I had a cannister.  Most of the
time, I didn't.  I had NO problems with bears, because
I was very careful not to attract them.  That being
said, if I had to do it all over again, I'd do the
same thing, regardless of Tom's opinion on cannisters.

I respect that opinion and his right to air it.
However, I'll hike my own hike, thank you very much.

Iron Chef