[pct-l] Re: Bears in general, (not canisters):)

> black bears aren't much of a threat.

I recall reading that in the National Park Service as a whole, the most
dangerous animals by far are the "pet" deer that city people try to pet.
Ouch those hooves are sharp!

The deer certainly will come around your tent making noise at night and knocking
over pots and stuff, at least in the Pasayten in fall 2001, but I haven't
heard of them coming in a tent or hanging around if somebody gets out of
the tent to mark his territory.    Those big old bears are actually quieter
than the deer.

At least in some places (maybe not PCT) the deer have been known to eat
pack straps for the salt.    This would put a bigger crimp in your hike
than if they just ate the food.    They are much pickier about food than
the bears.

By the way, a few grizzlies have immigrated illegally into the Pasayten
from BC, but so far I haven't heard of any unfortunate incidents involving
PCT hikers.