[pct-l] new thru-hiker bear question

Tonight, I received an inappropriate email from fellow list member Tom.
This all started when a new hiker posed a question of what to do with his
food at night on the PCT.  Tom posted a pretty rude response which basically
discounted the enthusiasm shown by a new hiker and told the new hiker to
look up the facts and that nobody on the list cared to answer his question,
since the question had been asked and answered in the past.

Not a very nice response to an innocent question posed by someone who simply
wanted to know what to do.

I answered the question, stating what I had observed during my 1 1/2
thru-hikes of the PCT:  that thru-hikers do not hang their food from trees,
and that most thru-hikers sleep with their food.  This is what actually
happened in 2001 and 2002.  If this is different than what happened in 1977,
or whenever it was that Tom had his glory hike, so what.  It is how the
trail is today.

After I posted my reply to the new hiker's question, I received this private
email from Tom, an email that I believe the list members should be privy to:

--------------------

Y-
Is it your plan to provoke me into offering my services to Inyo National
Forest for the purpose of seeing that every thruhiker passing through that
jurisdiction without a canister gets a ticket? If not do not EVER advocate
sleeping with your food on this list to a newby again.

Is this a threat? Yes!

In case you don't know it was I who started ADZPCTKO and as Asabat and
Strider will testify to I am capable of making things happen.

Tom

I have no plan that involves Inyo National Forest, and I don't really care
who started ADZPCTKO.  I simply answered a question with the truth.  The
kickoff is great, but what does that have to do with this question about
food protection?  Asabat and Strider?  What's that all about?

A new hiker asked a question, and I answered it.  I will continue to answer
questions on this forum.  Tom's threats do not scare me.

yogi