From: Shawnie [mailto:catfishii@schizoaffective.org]
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 6:53 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] new thru-hiker bear question

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:16:09 -0800, you wrote:

>I agree that a thruhiker [not me] can reach Red's Meadow from before Tully
>Hole and reach Donahue pass from Agnew meadow thus not camping in the bear
>canister zone. On the other hand what is the big deal of carrying an extra
1
>pound 12 ounces for 100 of a 2700 mile trip? That's more foolish.

2.7 pounds is what the garcia machine bear can weighs.  It is very bulky and
hard to fit in your pack.  It's also not real easy to pack food into.  A lot
of
people end up having to pack it by lashing it to the outside of their pack
while
carrying the food in another bag in the pack.  Then when they reach the camp
site they un lash the bear can and load it with food.   It will not fit into
lot of backpacks.

--
"The degree to which we suffer indicates the degree to which we are alive.
When we take drugs to ease our suffering, we stifle our psychological and

 - Peter R. Breggin M.D.