[pct-l] new thru-hiker bear question

Check the archives. Nobody wants to do this again

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Cox [mailto:rich@rlcconsulting.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 12:06 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] new thru-hiker bear question

--
Hello all!

I am new to the list and this is my first post.  I have been dreaming
about the PCT for about 6 years now and it looks like it will finally be
a reality this year! Yeah!  I have been making lots of my own gear and
really appreciate all the great advice I have found here. (Made my first
alcohol stove yesterday - If I had only known earlier...)

I fear starting off a religious war with this, but here goes.  Do I have
to take a bear container on the trail, and if so what sections? Also
what are your experiences with stealth camping and hanging food?  And,
are Ursacks effective and/or approved for use on the trail?

I am trying to go very light, but don't want to trade injury and danger
for weight and stupidity. If there is a good FAQ on this somewhere then
a single post would do just fine.

-R

Rich
rich@rlcconsulting.com