[pct-l] DEET & fabrics

--
Hi all, I'm new to the list here.  Planning a little section hike around th=
e Yosemite area (although the more I read here the more exciting a thru hik=
e sounds!).  I have a question for some of you who might know from experien=
ce.  I seem to remember back in college during forestry "camp" in the UP of=
 Michigan using quite a bit of DEET and at one point witnessed it remove pe=
rmanent marker from a plastic bottle.  I'm wondering what it might do to al=
l the high tech sorts of fabrics we use like that on waterproof jackets, wi=
cking T-shirts, etc.  They're a little too expensive to ruin, so I'd sure l=
ike to know how safe I am spraying it on or near the fabric.

Also wondering if anybody else has seen or used -- I don't remember what th=
e actual brand is or what the device is actually called -- but we call it o=
ur little "clicker".  Ok, don't laugh because I'm being serious here.  It's=
 a little yellow plastic case about an inch long with a black push button o=
n the top and inside it is what I assume to be a tiny capacitor.  You place=
 one end on a mosquito bite and press the button and it gives you a small s=
hock (you need to do around 5-10 for it to be effective and it doesn't hurt=
 unless you get it right on a tendon or bone, then it's just uncomfortable.=
)  If done soon after a bite it gets rid of the itching and swelling.  We l=
aughed too when we saw it hanging with the mosquito relief creams at Walmar=
t, but figured what the heck and bought one for $3.  It seriously works.  W=
e came back from our trip through the Bechler region of Yellowstone and wan=
ted to buy ten more of them, but couldn't find them anywhere.  Ours was fro=
m the Walmart in Riverton, WY.  If you ever see one get it, you may think I=
 sound kooky now, but it was a life saver for us!  ...and it weighs probabl=
y about a quarter of an ounce.

Michelle