[pct-l] Here it is: The First Snow Pack Prediction for 2003

--
In a message dated 2/8/2003 1:54:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
reynolds@ilan.com writes:

> True you will miss that wonderful
> four-mile post hole experience that occurs north of Muir Pass that Greg and
> Monte love so much and will not have the battle scars on your legs from it
> to prove you are a thruhiker.

I post holed for two days straight in the South San Juan's last spring.  Man
was that exhausting.  After a struggle, I'd get one leg out, and finally the
other. I'd take two steps and sink up to my waist again.  This happened over
and over.  Finally I smartened up, dropped down and hiked the valley, than
back up to the passes.

On the PCT, although I post holed some, I had an easier time of it.  Wearing
only shorts wasn't very smart though.  My calf's were scabbed over from
consistently plunging knee deep through the crusted snow.  Extremely painful
to the touch, especially when brushed with my opposite boot.  Gaiters or long
pants are advised.

Regardless, I enjoyed the experience and woudn't have traded them in for an
easier time.  It's what long distance hiking is all about, learning to
overcome obstacles and turning them into opportunities and fulfillment.
Thru-hiking made easy.

Sly