[pct-l] Time Tunnel of the trail

>>Monte asked "Ever notice how fast the world goes by
>>when you are on your long hike?

For the most part, yes. My town seemed to change
immensley this past year while I was away. Subtle
day-to-day details change in the "Real world". Add
those details up over the course of the nearly 6 mos
(4 1/2 hiking, 1 month of visiting people I knew) or
so I was away and the change seems immense.

On the other hand, five years ago when I started the
AT the news was that the Lewinski Scandal would bring
down the Clinton Administration.  Five months later
after finshing the trail,  the news was that the
Lewinski Scandal would bring down the Clinton
Administration....

If anything, these long hikes show how meaningless
some of what is considered news is.  Show the latest
sex scandal, cut to a Tide commercial....

 Think
of all the events that have happened when you were on
the trail that
you
only
later learned..."