[pct-l] Who used Ice Axes or Crampons in 02?????

--

In a normal year, June 15th is a reasonable time to enter the Sierra. Even =
then, I wouldn't go without an ice axe. Certainly in early June it's a nece=

I recommend an aluminum headed axe for thruhike use. I use the Camp HL250. =
It's about 9 ounces depending on length.

Crampons are another matter. They'd be nice if the snow was really icy. But=
 it usually isn't, at least not after the sun comes up. For those few place=
s where you'd like to have them, you can chop steps with your ice axe or wa=
it for the snow to soften. Good luck if you get nasty cold weather and the =
icy conditions persist.

Flyin' Brian
Calendar Triple Crown '01

 AV8TORX@aol.com wrote:--
Hi, I am preparing for the 03 hike and was wondering how many used an Ice A=
or Crampons thru the Sierras? I am planning on hitting the Southern Sierras
around the first week in June. I know conditions change but I was curious
how it was in 02 etc. Thanks Dave