[pct-l] How early is PCT passable in the spring?

--

I guess I'm well qualified to counsel a fellow "nut." ;-)

The answer to your direct question is the Sierra is considered passable for=
 an average thruhiker about June 15th of a normal year. Experienced, highly=
 motivated hikers can go 2-4 weeks earlier if they're willing to take the o=
bvious risks. Anything earlier is basically winter mountaineering. (Check t=
his list for advice on how "normal" a year this turns out to be. We'll have=
 some idea around March.)

More background: Do you have the PNT guidebook? "The Pacific Northwest Trai=
l Guide" by Ron Strickland.  I recommend it. It'll tell you the PNT is 1200=
 miles of trail ranging from great to non-existent. The PNT is more like th=
e CDT than the PCT in terms of navigability. Be prepared.

I assume you're planning to do the PCT northbound followed by the PNT westb=
ound. That is best IMO. If so, you have 2,000 miles of PCT from the Sierra =
to Manning and 1,000 miles of PNT from Glacier to Baker Lake that must be d=
one in the snow-free months unless you're into winter mountaineering. (This=
 ignores the Olympic Mountains, which is a bad idea, but you can walk aroun=
d them if need be.) Assuming you're experienced and motivated, let's assume=
 you're willing to start the Sierra on June 1st. (On the Calendar Triple Cr=
own I started one week earlier on a VERY low snow year.) It's my opinion th=
at you need to be done with your 3,000 critical miles by October 1st or ris=
k the winter mountaineering scenario. (Maybe you'll get lucky and get more =
time, but some years Oct 1st is too late) That's 3,000 miles in 4 months or=
 about 25 miles per day. That's a tall order, but possible. (I averaged 31 =
miles per day on the PCT during the Calendar Triple Crown.) To average 25, =
you must plan to hike 30 miles every day, figuring you'll lose some time to=
 resupply stops, injury and bad weather. If that doesn't scare you, it shou=
ld. Are you trained for the wear and tear? Are you mentally tough enough to=
 get up every day all summer and do it again and again and again? Are you p=
repared to do all this solo? Or do you have an equally well-prepared "nut" =
friend?

If so, go for it! It'll be an epic adventure! If not, you could hope for mi=
ld fall conditions in Washington. I've heard of PCT hikers finishing at Man=
ning as late as November.

Flyin' Brian
 Max Allen <Maxwell_Allen@brown.edu> wrote:Hey all,
I'm new here, first post.
I'm planning a PCT/PNT Thru hike. Yes, call me nuts, I'm going to
attempt them both back to back. Is it better to battle early spring in
the south or a late fall in the north? I want to be out of the rockies
by winter. It looks like I'm going to hit some hairy weather somewhere.
I'm planning on early February through October 2005.
Thanks,
MAX