[pct-l] water treatment options in the desert

Hi All,

While I am planning on using chemical treatment for water from
the Sierra north, I'm wondering about water in the desert.  After
reading many journals, it seems that people frequently come upon
water sources that are, shall we say, less than pristine.  Sources
where a filter might be a good idea to remove particulate
matter.  So, would a filter be a good idea?  Or, would straining
the water through a bandana and then chemically treating it
be okay?

Chris

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics