[pct-l] Burning Deserts

This thread reminds me of a weekend hike we attempted in Ventana wilderness about
5 years ago.  It was an outright disaster.  The area had a climax fire about
twenty years before that killed all the trees, but left most of them standing.
Since they provided no shade, the chapparal grew up thick everywhere, closing in
on the trails and making it impossible to go cross country.  Then, every winter,
the weather brings down more dead trees across the trail, making giant pick up
stick barricades that hikers could negotiate, but llamas find nearly impossible.
We got tons of practice going over and under the through these barriers.  We find
out just how high they can jump, how low they can crawl, and how to make them do
it.  Boy were we glad to leave that place!
llamalady