[pct-l] Burning Deserts

>The real question is: How do these plants know that fire is their friend?
>Oh I know, the evolutionists say it was random natural selection. But it
>sure as hell seems like a thought out strategy to me. To become so
>flammable in a near desert environment by chance? Logic says no way. Just
>as likely to not be flammable

Are most plants in chapparal areas flammable?  I'm not much of a botanist
but natural selection does seem to be a pretty good explanation for the
evolution of flammability in certain species.  For the exact reasons you
described - eliminating the competition.  Also some plants like disturbance
and so the evolution of a trait that aids in providing disturbance would be
highly beneficial.  Of course flammability might just be a side affect of
something else that is good for the continued existence and thus increased
reproductive output of these plants such as: plants originally evolved the
flammable oils because they made the plant taste bad or they kept the plant
from losing water.  You could go on for years pondering this one but I don't
think most desert plants are flammable however almost all of them have some
defense against loss of water and being eaten (e.g small or greatly reduced
leaves and spines).

A few desert questions:  I always thought that the Mojave was the only
desert on the PCT but I think I'm wrong, does the Sonoran desert extend into
southern California?  Also does anyone know what sets these two apart, I
know that the Sonoran and Chihuahuan have different key plant species, is
this also true for the Mojave (e.g. Joshua trees???).  Is the Mojave
substantially hotter than the Chihuahuan?  Just curious.