[pct-l] PCT North of Hwy 20 in Oregon

Thanks Scottie,

More info from a local who's done this section:  this is a ~17 mile
waterless stretch, between Coldwater Spring (7 miles south of Santiam Pass)
and Minto Pass (10 miles north of Santiam Pass).

If you can arrange to span this in one day, tank up & cruise through.  The
west-side traverse of Three Fingered Jack is spectacular.  Or Scottie's idea
is good too (it will take you off the guidebook maps, but not very far).

If you need to camp in between, the best option is probably Summit Lake,
which is 1/2 mile east of the PCT on the south flank of Three Fingered Jack.
It's off trail, but is supposedly easy to get to (famous last words).  I've
seen a couple crappy ponds on the PCT, but would certainly not depend on
them.
Also, the guidebook mentions Douthit Spring, which is east of the PCT next
to the highway.  Sounds noisy & undependable!

Another strong word of advice: *don't* depend on Coldwater Spring.  Plan on
going to Big Lake for sure, ~1.5 mile round trip detour.  I've never seen a
drop at Coldwater, in early August or even late July.  Besides, the lake is
a better reward after many tough lava miles.

-Andrew