[pct-l] PCT North of Hwy 20 in Oregon

--
If you're trip planning for a thru hike, here is some information on the PCT
trail starting at Hwy 20, Santiam pass in Oregon.  There isn't much water
(none, as I recall) on that leg of the trail for quite some distance.
However, when you get there and begin that section of the trail, you may
want to conceder taking the East side detour around Three Finger Jack.  Just
as you start on the trail, there is a trail to Square Lake which is about
1.7 miles, then to Round Lake, 2.0 miles, then to Jack lake (all totaled)
8.5 miles. There are camping areas at Jack lake or you can continue on to
Wasco Lake, another 2.5 miles.  There is a connecting trail from Wasco lake
back to the PCT, turn right at the top and continue onward.  At least this
way you'll have good water sources along that section, and the trail isn't
that steep.  The Pct from Hwy20 goes up through numerous switch backs and
continues to climb for the first 7 miles until you reach the north point of
Three Finger Jack where the trail crests.  That is a beautiful spot for
lunch or a Kodak moment.   From that point looking north (on a clear day)
you can even see the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge, and Mt.
Jefferson is just up the trail a ways.  As I said, just some information for
planning purpose only.  I'm not suggesting you detour off the trail, but if
you need water, here is an option.

Scottie
Three lungs