From: pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of
wandering_bob@msn.com
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 7:57 PM
To: PCT List Forum
Subject: Fw: [pct-l] New PCT Southern CA Book Has Arrived

--

Now that I've had the chance to read part of mine, I can see the additions
and they are highly significant. Water caches are now located, especially
those in section A. Mention is made of specific trail angels along the way
with addresses and phone numbers, a vastly increased option for previously
unmentioned re-supply points along the way, etc.

If that continues in the Northern CA book, to have made a single volume out
of the two would have made  for a very thick book indeed. I support the
decision to split the book into 2 parts. Realistically, most PCT hikers are
section hikers, not thru-hikers. This way they don't have to pay for
information they will never use. An argument could be made for splitting
Oregon and Washington too, but a lot more trail info would need to be
developed for that.

On the pessimistic side, Wilderness Press did not come close to meeting
their projected printing dates and so damn near missed the window for this
year's thru-hikers. If they had waited for the N. CA revision to be ready,
the book would have come out so late that sales would have probably (IMHO)
been greatly reduced, meaning it would be 2004 before they started to
recover their costs.

Just wait until the GPS files are published for the trail. It's in progress
from several sources. I would guess several sections could be available now,
piecemeal. Ken Roberts' CD's have them now, but 1300 points covering 2600
miles aren't enough to make a "route" for most people.

Wandering Bob