Fw: [pct-l] New PCT Southern CA Book Has Arrived

--

Now that I've had the chance to read part of mine, I can see the additions =
and they are highly significant. Water caches are now located, especially t=

If that continues in the Northern CA book, to have made a single volume out=
 of the two would have made  for a very thick book indeed. I support the de=
cision to split the book into 2 parts. Realistically, most PCT hikers are s=
ection hikers, not thru-hikers. This way they don't have to pay for informa=
tion they will never use. An argument could be made for splitting Oregon an=
d Washington too, but a lot more trail info would need to be developed for =
that.

On the pessimistic side, Wilderness Press did not come close to meeting the=
ir projected printing dates and so damn near missed the window for this yea=
r's thru-hikers. If they had waited for the N. CA revision to be ready, the=
 book would have come out so late that sales would have probably (IMHO) bee=
n greatly reduced, meaning it would be 2004 before they started to recover =
their costs.

Just wait until the GPS files are published for the trail. It's in progress=
 from several sources. I would guess several sections could be available no=
w, piecemeal. Ken Roberts' CD's have them now, but 1300 points covering 260=
0 miles aren't enough to make a "route" for most people.

Wandering Bob