From: "tsimon10" <tsimon10@cogeco.ca>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 4:32 PM
Subject: [pct-l] Fishing in Southern Sierras

> --
> Somehow this e-mail did not get posted yesterday so I'm re-sending it.
> I have fished all through the Sierras for the last four years. The South
is an incredible place to fish, especially the Rae Lakes.
> You'll pull out a trout for every cast. But try some of the lakes away
from the JMT. It's nice to have a fresh chunk of protein now and then -
> especially when you do not have to carry it. But here is a bit of advice I
learned the hard way. First, mostly there are various types of trout in the
> Sierras and they are around 9 inches long. They do not chase after a lure,
as the trout in other streams do. They are most comfortable with bait that
> they eat  normally - flies. So tie a fly on about four feet from the end
of your line. Carry a light collapsible rod. Also tie on a clear bobber
about
> two feet from the end. Half fill the bobber with water so you can cast it
all and it still floats. For certain you will be feasting on trout every
> time. Be an early bird. The fish bite ten times as much early in the a.m.
before the water on the water gets choppy, when they can see the flies land.
> One final tip, the Southern Sierra trout are best caught on a small black
fly that is about 1/4 of an inch across total.
> To cook them, carry pre-cut squares of foil, folded into small squares.
Remove innards, add moocho salt and wrap them up in the foil. Cook directly