[pct-l] New to the PCT

--
In a message dated 2/2/2003 11:30:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
paul.gugger@duke.edu writes:

> Hi, Im new to this list and planning a 2004 thruhike of the PCT.  I
> thruhiked the AT in 2002 with a pack under 11 lbs, so Im not new to long
> distance backpacking, but I understand there are a few key differences
> between the trails.  I have just ordered the guide books and wondered if
> any other book might be useful.  I have one restriction in my plan - I must
> finish by late August since I plan to attend grad school.  I can start
> anytime (was thinking mid to late april).  Is this possible?  I have the
> Sierras are not passable without crampons etc. until mid June.  Is this
> true?  I appreciate any advice you have have to offer...and im sure ill
> have more questions in the future.

You're all set, with the guidebooks, the databook and craig's pct planner.
Try not to get to Kennedy Meadows much before June.  You'll to have average
22-24 miles a day, with a few days off.  You can cover some miles on the PCT
and still have a great time.  It's doable.

 <A HREF="http://pctplanner.com/";>Craig's PCT Planner: Welcome to Craig's PCT Planner</A>

Have any specific questions?

Sly