[pct-l] tarp, tent, or nothing

I agree with Tony except for the Southern California section. You have to
carry *something* for rain and snow, even if you might never use it. In
2002, thru-hikers saw substantial rainstorms in mid-April and the end of
April (during the Kickoff). Then there was the hail / freezing rain /
snowstorm in late May. If I didn't have my tarp I might have died.

My recommendation for people going lightweight:
Campo to Kennedy Meadows: tarp or bivy
Kennedy Meadows to mid-Oregon (McKenzie Pass): tarp with bug netting (or
tarp-tent) or lightweight tent
mid-Oregon to Manning: tarp

By the way, I love the TNF Slickrock too. It's the lightest 2-person
free-standing tent I know to exist. The lightest 1-person free-standing
tent is the Eureka Zeus, which reportedly has terrible condensation
problems; the next lightest is the Eureka Zephyr.

Fleischman