[pct-l] phone cards

--
A phone card is the way to go on the trail.  I'm not just the CatStove
engineer.  In real life I made my living as a telecommunications engineer,
and I can tell you that the phone cards are the cheapest way to call
long-distance today.

Several years ago, I cancelled my long-distance carrier and went to the
dial-around service that best fit my calling pattern.  (Dial-around is the
10-10-XXX service.  The particular XXX you should use depends on your
long-distance calling habits.)

When I started planning my 2002 AT hike, I got an MCI calling card at Costco.
 I found it was cheaper than my dial-around, and I now use it for all my
long-distance calling, even at home.  Maybe there are better cards or maybe
you can't find one as good as mine right now, but here are the details for
the one I am using:

My calls cost $.0348 per minute, no minimum, no monthly flat charge.  I can
add balance with my credit card.

If I call from a payphone, I'm charged an FCC-mandated $.24 fee, not $.35 or
$.75.

If I want to make a second call, I just hit ## for dial-tone.  (And, yes,
from a payphone, they usually but not always knick me for another $.24.
Depends on the local carrier that's handling the payphone call.)

The downside?  Can't think of any unless you are unable, with frequent use,
to memorize your 10-digit pin number and the "800" access number.  Okay, I
kept a slip of paper in my wallet in case I forgot.  Didn't carry that heavy
card!  At home, I suggest you put these numbers on your speed-dialer.

Your current local service provider can now handle your long-distance calls,
or your long-line telco can sign you up for local calling.  You can even get
all these services from your wireless (cell) phone provider.  If you opt for
any of these deals, be really sure you've looked at all the costs and what
you get for that "perk" of getting all those costs on one bill instead of two
or three bills each month.

Finally, if you're interested, I can tell you the best deal I've found for
wireless phone service.  You don't need a contract, you don't get hit with
any monthly charge, you don't get a monthly bill at all.  Instead, you pay by
the minute just like on your calling card.  Check out <A HREF="www.virginmobileusa.com">www.virginmobileusa.com</A>
.  Again, there may be better deals out there but this is a good one for
people who want a cell phone for emergencies or occasional use.

Disclaimer:  I only think I know what I'm talking about.  Pick your own
choose.  Hike your own hike!
_____