[pct-l] (no subject)

>>> From: "Jon Lovejoy" <lovejoyart@cox.net>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:40:52 -0800
Subject: [pct-l] RE: Whitney Questions

When summitting Whitney from the PCT, what do most thru-hikers do with
their pack? I've never been more than 100 yards from mine on the trail,
but read that most folks leave their pack for the final summit. Do you
bring a daypack? <<<

*****

I left mine by a declivity in the rocks near Guitar Lock, and piled heavy
rocks all around the pack like a makeshift suit of chainmail - not against
the risk of bear attack, which would be less likely above treeline as it
were. Rather, this was to ward off the marmots, or scree bears as I refer to
them. Then I continued on to the summit of Whitney with a fanny pack, which
was the removeable lid from my backpack. This was back in my heavyweight
days. Were I to hike the spur to Whitney from the PCT now, I would probably
carry my lighter weight pack all the way to the summit, for the peace of
mind. But the rocks did do the job that year; good thing, considering the
backbreaking labor involved.

- blisterfree